Sunday, May 18, 2008

Welcome to the blog ...

This blog's mission statement is rather self-serving, though I assume that is the nature of most blogs. I'm a lifelong New Yorker who recently moved to Hollywood, Calif., for career reasons. Being a fan of an East Coast team out here is bizarre, a scary world of 10 a.m. first pitches, blacked out games and complacent baseball fans. The Dodgers draw 40,000 a game -- though I suspect they mostly go to tell Andruw Jones he's fat. At the end of the day, this is Lakers country.

The impetus of this blog is as follows: In New York I never missed a Yankees game. But with the time difference and general apathy toward things not show-business related, I felt disconnected from the Bombers for the first time in my life. This gave me an uneasy feeling in my stomach, so I started to ramp up my Yanks coverage, watching every game on MLB.TV, scouring blogs, and reading as much beat coverage as possible. I view this blog as the final step in closing the gap between the fan I was in '07 and the one I will be going forward.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Peter Abraham of The Journal News in Westchester. His Yankees blog is a daily essential read for me, and was a motivator to get this little side project off the ground.

So that's it. If anything, maybe the start of this project will coincide with a Yankees resurgence ... one that features Jason Giambi not hitting into the shift, Kei Igawa successfully tying his shoes and Carl Pavano's triumphant return to riding around in sports cars with models.

A boy lost in Hollywood can dream, can't he?

No comments: