Sunday, August 10, 2008

Optioning Kennedy was wrong move

I'm still burning up in Texas right now, but I managed to hijack some cowboy's wi-fi connection to get back to my labor of love. Coincidentally, the Yankees addressed their own labor of love today, optioning Ian Kennedy back to Triple-A.


I can't say I agree with this decision. Yes, Kennedy wasn't competitive in his start against the Angels on Friday. He was actually pathetic. But in his defense, he was facing the best team in the Majors, pitching in his hometown with a gathering of family and friends present. Not exactly the ideal recipe for success in a 23-year-old's first start in three months.

But it's difficult to believe that his unconcerned reaction to giving up nine hits in two-plus innings wasn't the chief motivator in his demotion. And that'd be wrong. In case you've forgotten (I know you haven't) ...

"I felt like I made some good pitches," Kennedy said following Friday's start. "I'm not too upset about it. ... What was it, a bunch of singles and three doubles? I'm just not real upset about it. I'm just going to move on and I've already done that."

This is an immature kid. I think these comments paint that picture clearly. But I believe the right move here was to run him back out in the finale against the Twins and see if can work out the kinks and butterflies from the first start.

Veterans spoke to Kennedy about his quotes and Kennedy himself addressed the issue yesterday, saying he was sorry how it came out and he was going to be more careful in how he chose his words in the future. My question is why couldn't the Yankees take his word for it hope for better days?

Now we'll have Darrell Rasner or some other buffoon starting against the Twins while Kennedy rides Minor League buses, worried about not just his stuff, but if the organization that drafted him in the first round still believes in him.

Kennedy hasn't done the Yanks any favors this season. But the Yanks are essentially disciplining him with this move ... and that can't be the right message here.

No comments: